Medicine Buddha Mantra
During this pandemic I was stretched to think outside the box.I was looking for hope and strength and constructive thoughts to help my state of mind due to some disturbing news I had received a while ago.
I was looking for prayers to share with my students and for self protection and family protection. I was guided to look at the Reiki Medicine Buddha mantra .
TAYATA OM BHEKANDZE BHEKANDZE MAHA
BHEKANDZE RANDZA SAMUNGATE SOHA
Meaning of the Mantra
Tayata = Gone beyond (beyond Samsara and Nirvana)
Om = Om: jewel holder, wish fulfilling one, auspicious
Bhekandze Bhekandze = calling Medicine Buddha
Maha Bhekandze = Greatness of Medicine Buddha
Randza Samungate =Perfectly liberated or awakened
Soha = Dissolve in me
The Twelve Vows of the Medicine Buddha upon attaining Enlightenment, according to the Medicine Buddha Sutra are:
- To illuminate countless realms with his radiance, enabling anyone to become a Buddha just like him.
- To awaken the minds of sentient beings through his light of lapis lazuli.
- To provide the sentient beings with whatever material needs they require.
- To correct heretical views and inspire beings toward the path of the Bodhisattva.
- To help beings follow the Moral Precepts, even if they failed before.
- To heal beings born with deformities, illness or other physical sufferings.
- To help relieve the destitute and the sick.
- To help women who wish to be reborn as men achieve their desired rebirth.
- To help heal mental afflictions and delusions.
- To help the oppressed be free from suffering.
- To relieve those who suffer from terrible hunger and thirst.
- To help clothe those who are destitute and suffering from cold and mosquitoes.
Benefits of the Mantra
- If you pray to Medicine Buddha, you will quickly accomplish all that you wish. Just hearing the holy name of Guru Medicine Buddha and the sound of his mantra closes the door to rebirth in the suffering lower realms.
- Also, by reciting this mantra, you will greatly enhance the power of the medicine that you are taking or giving to others.
- If you can recite Medicine Buddha mantra as much as you can every day (good to do at least 5 malas), this will purify negative karma and will help you never to be reborn in the lower realms.
- Besides the benefits you receive from reciting Medicine Buddha mantra, also these are the benefits just from hearing the mantra. With the Medicine Buddha mantra you can liberate numberless sentient beings from oceans of suffering and bring them to enlightenment.